A SOUTH PASADENA LANDMARK
Travelers have zigzagged along the historic Route 66 since the highway’s birth in 1926. The Fair Oaks Pharmacy has been a focal point of South Pasadena’s history and business district for over a century. The name of the establishment has been modified throughout history, first called the South Pasadena Pharmacy in 1915, then the Raymond Pharmacy in the 20’s and 30’s. The mom-and-pop shop finally found its permanent name in the early 40’s which brings us to the Fair Oaks Pharmacy and Soda Fountain!
The building which houses the pharmacy was originally owned and financed by Gertrude Ozmun, an “entrepreneur of her time”, who paid $14,000 for the corner lot in 1914. She believed that South Pasadena was destined to become a successful retail area, one where she could make a safe investment.
The original pharmacy and building design was created by a Los Angeles architect named Arthur Benton, who was also responsible for several structures in Los Angeles and Riverside Counties.
Americans migrated to California on Steinbeck’s “Mother Road” in the early 30’s and 40’s and brought prosperity to service stations, motels, and restaurants along the way, including our local Fair Oaks Pharmacy. Please sit back, relax and get your “Kicks” along Route 66 in this original family owned Pharmacy and Soda Fountain. Enjoy!